Sunday, March 15, 2015

Cheek by Jowl…

We had almost grown up together. We had been partners in crime. Our love for each other was on par with the animated series Tom and Jerry. The seasons changed and we grew older. I had to leave home for further studies and he had to stay back. I knew I wouldn’t miss him much. A new city was awaiting me. New friends, new aspirations and my dreams all were waiting for me.
A few hours later, I knew I was wrong. I had begun missing him. I wanted to stop the bus and simply go back. However, that was not to happen. I went to college and eventually got busy with life and studies. He kept waiting… 

He waited patiently to have a glimpse of me and I was eager to go back home not just for the home made food and family pampering but most times only to sit with him and talk. He heard me out for hours together as we sat in the backyard of my house. 

While I did all the talking, he patiently heard me out… Occasionally cocking his head from side to side, as he heard me go on and on with my never ending stories.  He knew my failures and my triumphs. He knew my little secrets and I knew they were safe with him.

And yet again life went on and I had to leave him and go back.  This time however, I could not take trips home often. He waited and I had a million excuses to not go back home. We grew older and my priorities changed.  I kind of became selfish, I almost forgot him.  Pictures of us together would bring in a wave of memories for a while. Once the phase had passed, I would allow work to engulf me again and in the process forget him.

And then one random day I rushed home, it had dawned on me that I had been selfish all throughout. He had always been there for me and I on the other hand had never been around. He had waited enough.  I decided to surprise everyone at home. However,I reached home quite late that night and since I didn’t want to disturb the others, asked my sister to keep the door unlocked.


Once home, I tiptoed inside and there in the hallway I could see his silhouette. He knew I had arrived. He ran towards me like he had been waiting for me since ages and embraced me with his doggy paws. Like a blast from the past,memories did a slide show of sorts. My little boy, my teeny weenie little pet dog who had entered my home and my little world in my arms was now aging gracefully.  What had not changed was his affection and love for me.  He slept in my arms that night just like he used to when he was a little puppy. The following morning I woke up, but he didn't. He passed away in his sleep, afterall his wait was over. Affection doesn't see the difference in species, it only understands the language of love. Yes, we were soul mates cheek by jowl after all…

Pic credit: I eaT sTars on Flickr


No comments: